Labels

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Standardized Patient

Yesterday I started training to become a Standardized Patient for Josh’s school.  The school hires spouses to train and become a pretend patient for their clinical training course.  Basically we are given an identity complete with symptoms and personality that we are to act out while the students are graded on their interviewing and patient care skills.  We give feedback about what it was like to be their patient…”When I said ‘anal sex’ you smiled and it made me feel uncomfortable”…that sort of thing.
It’s pretty cool, I’m in a class with a handful of other spouses that I know from the Spouses Organization.  For our first class our instructor had us act out some doctor-patient scenes to gauge our acting range.  We got pick whatever symptoms we wanted.  I pretended to be a patient with an itchy rash first.  Then I tried a patient with post-partum depression.  It was fun.  It’s kind of ironic that I lived in LA for 7 years and then moved to St. Maarten to start my acting career J

No comments:

Post a Comment