Labels

Monday, June 20, 2011

Tofu and Eggplant Curry

I love to cook.  Don't confuse that as meaning I'm a GOOD cook. I consider a good cook as someone who looks in the fridge, pulls out random things, throws it together, a little taste here, a little more of this there, and wala you end up with something amazing that you didn't even know you had the ingredients for.  That's how my husband is.  I'm more of a follow-the-directions-in-a-recipe kinda girl. And it comes out tasty, but I definately prefer Josh's dinners over mine. Anyhow, it's time I post some of my favorite recipes on here. 
I wanted something healthy and yummy to feed my man so that his mind could be healthy and sharp for his studies (the two are related in my opinion).  I cooked up this curry with tofu and eggplant.  It is yummy and keeps very well for leftovers.  Serve it on top of some brown rice.

Eggplant and Tofu Curry
Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 7 cloves garlic (I love garlic!)
  • 1 3-inch piece ginger, peeled
  • 1 jalapeno pepper (remove seeds for less heat)
  • 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes (I prefer Hunt's)
  • 1 Medium eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder (or more to taste)
  • 1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
  • 12 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and patted dry
  • 3 cups spinach
  • Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Directions
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, puree the garlic, ginger, jalapeno and 1 to 2 tablespoons water in a mini food processor until a paste forms. Drain the tomatoes, reserving the juice.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and the eggplant to the pot; cook 2 minutes. Add the garlic-ginger paste and cook, stirring, 2 more minutes (if you can't do paste, just mince the ingredients). Add the curry powder and tomatoes (but not the juice) and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the tomato juice and 1 cup water and cook until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes. Add the coconut milk and tofu; simmer until the eggplant is very tender, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Taste, add more salt/pepper/curry as needed. Serve with brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment