Labels

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Planned for the worst

I had been a little nervous about moving here.  Every thing happened so fast…one minute we’d just got engaged the next we were married, selling all our belongings and moving to the Caribbean for two years.  I mean I knew for about 2 years that Josh was applying to some schools in the Caribbean and that I would go with him but it seemed like some far away distant option that probably wouldn’t happen.  In the end it did happen, we made the final decision that we were really going to go about 8 weeks before we left.  Eight weeks is not a lot of time to leave your job, say goodbye to friends and family, and move out of the country.  On top of that I was nervous about being a newlywed and having us plucked out of our happy Santa Monica lives where we have plenty of free time to spend together and stranded on a tropical island where he is stressed and has no free time and I have no friends or family or job.  I was afraid it was going to be a major adjustment having him so busy all the time and I’d be lonely and bored and possibly depressed.  Luckily it has not been nearly as bad as I was prepared for.  Yes, he’s busy and stressed, and ALWAYS studying but I see him for lunch and dinner and sometimes he studies at home while I read.  Something about working from home makes me feel like he’s still spending time with me even though he’s in his office working.  It’s only been 3 weeks but I’m feeling optimistic that our relationship can definitely handle medical school and I’m not going to be the sad little wife sitting at home missing her husband wishing we were back to our old Santa Monica lifestyle.  This new life will do just fine.  I’m getting used to short showers, sudden rain storms, humidity, an almost non-existent salary, new friends and skyping with friends and family.  Not the skeetos though, I’m still at war with those skeetos!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. I'm going to try and do the same when my girlfriend get here in a couple weeks.

    You think 8 weeks is not a lot of time? Try less than one! lol. I was accepted 5 days before the semester started. I got to say goodbye to some family but almost none of my friends. Didn't even have a place to stay when I first got here. haha.

    Keep the posts coming. Oh, and if you'd like some advanced weaponry for the war against the "skeetos", I've got an electric fly swatter you can have if you'd like. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap 5 days! That's killer. Speaking of kill...yes, I will take the fly swatter. They all deserve to die a miserable death :)

    ReplyDelete