Labels

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Feeling more settled.

I think the “difficulty adjusting” period is coming to a close for me. Hopefully!  Actually, this is exactly what I anticipated…I predicted there would be a honeymoon period where it felt new and exciting, like being on vacation.  Then it would sink in that we are not going home, this is really going to be my new home.  That part is difficult, you mourn the old things you’re going to miss from home, simple American luxuries that you took for granted.  However, I’m beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I’m getting used to the way things work here, and working around the obstacles.  The girls here are starting to feel more like friends and less like strangers.  I’m finding my routine.  I’m adapting to the heat. Not quite so bored.  Even those skeetos seem to have finally left me alone J   
We already have less than a year and a half left and I think about what I will miss when we leave. Surprisingly, I’m going to miss the sudden rainstorms.  I just love when out of nowhere it starts POURING, I love the sound of the rain.  Except for that one time I got caught in a downpour carrying tons of groceries, and when I finally made it up 3 flights of stairs I found my laptop soaked by the window…that caused a little bit of a freak-out for me. 
Although, I have not been through a hurricane yet, we will see how I feel about the rain then!  Yesterday the university sent out an email to all students saying “oh by the way, it’s hurricane season…make sure we know where you live, your island phone number and an emergency contact back home”.  I found it a little unsettling J

No comments:

Post a Comment