Labels

Monday, May 16, 2011

Lyssa versus The Skeetos

I’m sitting here in our little living room…the lights are dimmed, there is a glow from the office where Josh is working, I can see his computer from here, he’s looking at slides of cells and a bit ago there was a slide of a vagina and I teased him about enjoying his studies.  The whole front part of our apartment is lined with windows (the slit kind where you have to crank the handle to turn them up), they are all open and a breeze is flowing through our transparent white curtains.  I can hear sounds coming from outside, some sort of animal I have no idea which kind, maybe grasshoppers.  When the windows are open, which is often because it’s like 85 degrees everyday here, you can hear everything that happens outside.  For instance, all afternoon I listened to two gardeners carry on a conversation for 3 hours in a language I didn’t understand.  I was trying to figure out if it was Dutch, or some sort of islander dialect, or English even with a heavy accent.  I don’t know how they got any work done between all the gabbering. 
Josh just yelled to me that he doesn’t think our mosquito light zapper thingy is working because he just killed two mosquitos himself and I think I might have just lost the will to LIVE.  These mosquitos are attacking my sanity. They’ve won many battles and I think they are going to take the war.  I was optimistic but that’s fading quickly. That zapper was my last hope! Today I had to go down to the pharmacy because I had two bites that had swollen to 2-3 inches in diameter and were itching and burning so much that I couldn’t stand it anymore.  I must be allergic and there must be some sort of mutated heavy duty mosquitos that live around here.  The pharmacist gave me antihistamines and told me to take two which helped but my guess is that it’s temporary relief unless I want to be doped up on antihistamines for the next year and a half.  Josh, on the other hand, has been bit like once.  Good for him. I’ve decided that 20 months is about as long as my sweet blood and I will ever live on a tropical island.
Other than that, I’m adjusting well J

3 comments:

  1. I hear you on the mosquito's - I have one on my shoulder from the white coat ceremony and it is the size of a silver dollar - its like the Sun here makes them go crazy. I just took a DiphenhydrAMINE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things:
    1) does it work?
    2) bring me some :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post makes me itchy, I'm allergic to mosquito bites. I want to send you tea tree oil, they say if you mix it with witch hazel and apply it to your skin it's a natural repellent. :| Deanna misses you a lot and so do I, we know we won't run into you at the Starbucks across from school on a day when you would slum down to WLA...good to read about your adventures. <3 to you and Josh.

    ReplyDelete